BEAT THE BLOAT
“No. I’m not pregnant. I’m just carrying a food baby.”
Being Miss Bloatsky McGroatsky is not only uncomfortable… but embarrassing.
We’ll wear baggy shirts to hide the bloat.
Suck in our belly — adding more uncomfortable pressure to our bellies.
Lose our energy and lay on the couch like a lazy fart potato.
And worse of all… have a self-sabotaging mental chat of how stupid we are for doing that.
Just so you know… you’re not alone.
Bloating is a fact of life — it happens.
EVERYONE goes through this.
EVERYONE bloats on some days.
EVERYONE has something there tummy does not agree with.
EVERYONE — even Victoria Secret models — have carried a food baby or two in their day.
No… you don’t have a problem if it happens on occasion.
And you prevent it from happening again by finding the source of the issue.
A lovely holistic triber recently asked me to give some digestion and bloating tips.
Here are 16:
Highlight the tips that may align with your eating habits. Let’s beat the bloat!
Reach out to a doctor or registered dietitian if you already try most of these and still have frequent bloating issues.
1 ➳ EAT ANTI-BLOAT PLANTS
- ANTI-BLOAT PLANTS:
- The following plants carry enzymes that beat the bloat!
- all leafy greens.
- cantaloupe (eaten alone).
- watermelon (eaten alone).
- chia seeds.
- fennel seeds.
- brown rice.
- PROBIOTIC-CENTRIC FOODS
- coconut yogurt with probiotics.
2 ➳ STOP WITH THE DAIRY
- Stop cutting the cheese to cut the bloat!
- I know dairy is a hard one for people to let go of… but if you have frequent bloating issues and milk, cheese, yogurt, butter or even packaged food containing traces of dairy is a part of your daily diet, than try cutting the d-word out for a week and see what happens.
- I feel lucky that dairy was easy for me to let go of. Especially milk would either cause me to bloat, feel abdominal pain, bloat, be a fart knocker and have a few occasions of the runs.
- If this is you — you may be lactose intolerant. It’s the sugar in the dairy that travel through the digestive system, pulls ins water into your gut and causes all of the above discomfort.
3 ➳SIP MORE OF THESE ANTI-BLOAT DRINKS
gaia gas and bloating tea.
with herbs like turmeric or cayenne pepper
hot lemon water.
hot lemon water with cayenne pepper (fair warning: it has a strong punch).
water infused with sliced cucumber.
water infused with sliced oranges.
water infused with sliced grapefruit & mint.
water infused with any berry or a mixed berries.
And best of all… water
4 ➳ BUT DON’T DRINK ANYTHING (NOT EVEN TEA OR WATER) WITH YOUR MEALS
- Especially if it’s cold.
Drinking makes it harder for your digestive system to breakdown your food, because the liquid dilutes your digestive enzymes and stomach acids.
So hydrate 20 minutes before and an hour after you eat your meals.
5 ➳ FOOD COMBINE PROPERLY
- I use this plant-based food combining infographic by the Acid Alkaline Diet to make sure most of meals will allow me to digest with ease.
- If you have any Qs about this graphic, let me know in the comments below.
6 ➳ EAT UNTIL SATISFIED… NOT STUFFED
- You may already know this, but it’s much easier said than applied.
- Tip: it takes 20 minutes for your brain to realize you’re no longer hungry.
- If you eat mindfully without distractions ..
- eat slowly…
- chew your food…
- pause between each bite…
- you’re more likely to recognize when you’re satisfied.
7 ➳ EAT A LITTLE LESS FOOD
- This may seem to go hand-in-hand with the last advice. But the only difference I want to point out is pay attention to your portion size!
- You don’t need to super size your meal.
- Fill a small to medium sized plate so your brain thinks it’s eating a filling amount of food.
- Controlling portions would actually be top 3 on if I was listing these in a particular order.
8 ➳ INTAKE A LITTLE LESS SALT
- The salt bloat is a result water retention.
- The buildup of fluid is not only uncomfortable to carry around, but it can be dangerous to your health as it increases your blood volume — making that heart work extra hard!
- Hence why your pops was asked to stop with the salt to prevent heart failure and a stroke.
9 ➳ CHEW THAT FOOD… REALLY CHEW
- One of the best mindful eating habits you can develop.
- Chewing your food until it’s mush in your mouth before you swallow (sexy thought, right?) is great for easing the food into your digestive system.
- Plus, you absorb more nutrients and energy!
10 ➳ FREE YOURSELF OF GMOs & PESTICIDES
- For whatever reason, your body does not like digesting the two.
- Hmmm… maybe because they’re not made by mother nature? Maybe…
- Genetically modified organisms and chemical pesticides have been linked to gastrointestinal disease and creating food allergies.
- Do away with highly processed chemicals as much as possible and mainly consume wholesome, non-GMO, organic food so your body is happy with what it has to process.
11 ➳ EASY ON THE RAW CRUCIFEROUS VEGGIES
- I would never tell you to not eat these veggies, but if you’re feeling bloated after eating cruciferous veggies raw, than you may need to cook them until your inner ecosystem is healthier and/or ease your system into digesting them smoothly by eating with smaller portions frequently.
Here’s the cruciferous family:
12 ➳ SOAK YOUR GRAINS, BEANS, LEGUMES, NUTS AND SEEDS
- If you toot after eating the magical fruit, than try soaking them before you eat or cook them.
- Your ancestors were on to something… they soaked grains, beans, legumes, nuts and seeds so they could digest them better.
Soaking gets rid of the anti-nutrients that mother nature added to these foods to protect them from bugs.
If these foods are not soaked… we may bloat.
If these foods are soaked… enzymes and nutrients are created during the natural germination process that takes place.
Your new rule of thumb: SOAK BEFORE YOU COOK!
13 ➳ MAKE PROBIOTICS A PRIORITY
You can find a high-quality plant-based probiotic supplement… or just make sure one or more of the following probiotic foods are added to your daily diet.
- PROBIOTIC PLANT FOODS
- soy milk
- nut milk
14 ➳ PRESSURE-FREE CLOTHING
- Did you know…
Those spandex and high waisted yoga pants you put on to cover up the belly bump is not serving you well. The tightness makes you more bloated and gassy by adding uncomfortable pressure to your tum tum.
I’m not trying to steer you away from high waisted yoga pants. I love them! But I know girls will wear them to high the bloat sometimes.
If you’re not bloated, feel free to wear away… if you are… find something more freeing like a loose dress, blouse and comfy pants.
15 ➳ NO MORE CARBONATED DRINKS
- The bubbles trap gas in your tum tum causing digestive distress and a carbonated drink baby.
16 ➳ DRINK LOTS OF WATER
- Need I say more?
- Hope this helped, my friend.
- Thanks for reading!
- Let me know your thoughts on this or if you have anything else you’d like me to share by connecting with me on my
- Youtube || Raquelle Mantra
- Instagram || @RaquelleMantra
xo & namaste